Project description as PDF document
IGROUP PRESENCE QUESTIONNAIRE (IPQ)
The Igroup Presence Questionnaire (IPQ) is a scale for measuring the sense of presence experienced in a virtual environment (VE). It has been constructed using a large pool of items and two survey waves with approximately 500 participants. It was originally constructed in German, but is now also available in English and Dutch.
computer science | psychology | art | engineering | design | media sciences | architecture
weimar | jena | ulm | leipzig | bonn | hong kong | eindhoven | freiburg | london | dunedin | hull | oslo
MAMBO – Multimedia in distant education
MAMBO was a research project in order to support traditional paper-based and multimedia-enhanced courses in a single publishing system. The goal was to rearange an existing post gradual study in the field of water and environment at the Bauhaus-University Weimar.
The results of our work have shown how the use of multimedia elements in such an environment could add quality to the learning process in comparison to conventional paper based distant learning. This was tested in an evaluation process
Results of the work
A second edition of an existing course has been done as example and test case.
- a paper-based course of 950 pages with 200 figures and 80 equations given as gray scale print out or pdf-file.
- a multimedia-enhanced course implemented in html including the paper based matirial and enhanced with 30 animations (as mov files with spoken text, about 50 minutes), 20 VRML files, 20 figures and icons. Further a movie on the waste water treatment plant of Weimar (18 minutes). The whole site has its own search, annotation, and history functionality. As an add-on, a software for process simulation of a waste water treatment plant. The course is distributed by two CD-Rom.
- a concept and implementation of a multimedia publishing system, basing on requirements of a content management system.
- a complete documentation of the project in pdf and html (see http://www.uni-weimar.de/Bauing/wbbau/projekte/mm/mm.html)
- used in education at Bauhaus-University Weimar
- S. Lo, A. Koubek, T. Hofmann, and T. Schmidt-Tjarksen. Computergestütztes Studieren: Vom multimedialen Pilotversuch zu Lerntheorie und Medienproduktion. In ICL98 - Workshop: Interactive Computer aided Learning - Concepts and Applications, pages 113-123. Carinthian Institute of Technologie Villach/Austria, Kärntner Druck- und Verlags-Ges. m. b. H., 1998. ISBN 3-85391-159-5.
- T. Hofmann and T. Schmidt-Tjarksen. Mambo - development report of a distance learning system in the field of water and environment. In P. Hubert, A. van der Beken, M. Mihailescu and J. Bogardi, editors, The learning society and the water-environment - La société cognitive et les problčmes de l'eau, pages 289-294, Luxembourg, 2000. European Commission, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities. ISBN 92-828-8308-6.
- ED-MEDIA 2001;Tampere, Finland (is comming)